The Smyllum Park orphanage was operated in Lanarkshire, Scotland, from 1864 until it closed in 1980.
A joint investigation by The Sunday Post and the BBC claims up to 400 children who died at the institution in its 116-year existence were buried in a mass grave at St. Mary’s Cemetery in Lanark, located about a mile from the orphanage. The cemetery also holds the remains of the sisters and other staff members who died at the institution, although their graves are marked with headstones.
A memorial with the words ‘Sweet Jesus have mercy on the souls of the children of Smyllum’ is the only marker over the grave of the children. [More]