(NCR Online) In partnership with the Washington Archdiocese and the Jesuit Conference of Canada and the United States, Georgetown University held a public spiritual ceremony and building dedication April 18 to honor the 272 enslaved people that Jesuits in Maryland had sold to Louisiana plantation owners in 1838. The Maryland Province Jesuits had used the proceeds from that sale to pay off debts at Georgetown, the country’s oldest Catholic university.
At least 100 descendants of the enslaved men and women attended the ceremony, titled “Liturgy of Remembrance, Contrition, and Hope.” Jesuit Fr. Robert Hussey, provincial of the Maryland Province Jesuits, was also in attendance. Members of Georgetown’s Catholic Music Ministry and the music ministry of St. Augustine Church performed in a joint choir at the ceremony. [More]