Home » US News » Cardinal O’Malley named to Vatican reform advisory committee

Cardinal O’Malley named to Vatican reform advisory committee

omalley(Boston Globe) Cardinal Sean P. O’Malley was one of nine high-ranking prelates Pope Francis named Saturday to an advisory group on revising Vatican government, according to the Archdiocese of Boston.

The group of eight cardinals and one bishop includes one Vatican insider, two Latin American cardinals, and representatives from India, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Australia, and Germany, according to a posting on the archdiocese’s Facebook page.

O’Malley will remain stationed in Boston, said Terrence C. Donilon, an archdiocese spokesman.

Donilon said he did not know when O’Malley got the news of his appointment.

The cardinal has been on a weeklong retreat in Israel with 29 of his priests since Monday, visiting about 20 Biblically significant sites and meeting with Catholic leaders in the country.

The committee’s first meeting is scheduled for early October.

The committee also includes the president of the Governorate of Vatican City State, Cardinal Giuseppe Bertello, Cardinal Oswald Gracias of Mumbai, Cardinal Reinhard Marx of Munich and Freising, Germany, Cardinal Oscar Andres Rodriguez Maradiaga of Tegucigalpa, Honduras, Cardinal Laurent Monsengwo Pasinya of Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of Congo, Cardinal Francisco Javier Errazuriz Ossa, archbishop emeritus of Santiago de Chile, Chile, and Cardinal George Pell of Sydney.

Bishop Marcello Semeraro of Albano, Italy, will serve as the group’s secretary. [More]

Boston.Com/Boston Globe

1. James says:

My Son just returned from a tour in Afaganastin , Thank you Catholic Lady and Carol for asking. I will be moving on now. Appreciate the two of you and for helping me focus on the important things of Life..I will light a candle at Mass for the two of you this morning. May He keep you both close to him and to Our Blessed Mother.

2. Carol says:

James, I too hope your Son is safely home. Thank you Catholic Lady for your response. I was happy to hear from both of you.
    I will pray for our country, Boston and all who serve to keep us safe.

3. James says:

Catholic Lady: You seem like a nice lady and so do you Carol…I watched a little T.V today, another attack on America. We must keep praying…Injures were massive. My son was a Doctor in Iraq he saw many injures like this. In the middle of all this insanity and evil, the people in Boston came together with great kindness and goodness. God bless all of them and our troops.

• Catholic Lady says:

I will continue to pray for God’s blessings on my neighbours to the south. I hope that your Son is safely home, James.

4. [...] Francis recently appointed O’Malley to the newly-created Papal Advisory Group for the reform of the Roman Curia. He is [...]

5. [...] Francis recently appointed O’Malley to the newly-created Papal Advisory Group for the reform of the Roman Curia. He is [...]

6. [...] Francis recently appointed O’Malley to the newly-created Papal Advisory Group for the reform of the Roman Curia. He is the [...]

7. [...] Francis recently appointed O’Malley to the newly-created Papal Advisory Group for the reform of the Roman Curia. He is the [...]

8. carol says:

John Kelly, YES CARDINAL BURKE. I do not have to check his history I was in his diocese. I happen to be from Wisc. He has many who listen to him. Maybe you don’t, but many in his dioceses do. I thought this was a Catholic web site. I guess I am wrong.

9. Carol says:

One more thing, perhaps James was upset over the bombings at Boston Marathon. He may have found some comfort in your words C.Lady when you asked all to pray for them….maybe he too was reaching out the best way he knew how. I really do wish others would stop all their hate and anger and start praying for the ones that died at the Marathon and the victims that are suffering and may lose their lives, their family’s. Life is to short to attack and use cruel words….James I do not know if your still out there but I do not think your anti-Jesus. your in my prayers.

10. Carol says:

Catholic Lady: You may be right about about the “Holy Spirit” I will pray about it and for Cardinal O”Malley. I do believe many left after he celebrated Ted Kennedy’s funeral..After all it was not a secret on how many he gave communion to and he knew they were in the state of sin. He is human I know and we all make mistakes, but he still needs our prayers I am not judging him as he may have repented..that is between him and God. But his Parrish flock suffered and left. I do not think James was putting you on a pedestal calling you a great Catholic. He was taken a beating from a few writing and it was uncalled for. There is never a reason to call someone anti-Jesus. Never..nothing wrong with calling someone a great Catholic after all the hate that I have been reading….I think James felt it refreshing to read something good come from your writings. I have a brother I consider a Great Catholic, but I see the good work he does. James does not know you but somehow related to you…let it be.

11. Carol says:

I agree with James. Why is Cardinal O’Malley on advisory board? His own Parrish is in the red and parishioners are leaving. Makes you wonder about the other Cardinals who recommended him. Maybe it is about politics or is he a good friend of Pope.Francis. Whatever it is there was not a lot of thought put into this selection. Cardinal Burke would have been a great selection.

• John Kelly says:

CARDINAL BURKE! The Cardinal Burke who came by way of La Crosse, Wisconsin, and then Saint Louis, Missouri, a good choice? Only if one is looking for an unbending autocrat who listens to no one but himself. Check the man’s history as head of those two dioceses.

• Catholic Lady says:

Carol; perhaps the “Holy Spirit” has a good replacement for Cardinal O’Malley waiting back stage, getting ready to step in and shepherd this Parish.

12. James says:

Thanks Catholic Lady, I guess Ann or Concern has nothing to say unless I condemn Holy Mother Church. You are a great Catholic. I was starting to to take their bait, but realized after Concern called us anti-Jesus the type of person I was dealing with. And Ann it is not worth my energy to respond to your remarks. God bless all of you.

• Concerned says:

So when did your appointment come that gives you the authority to determine who is and who is not a great Catholic. These were your words – “Concerned does not seem to be concerned. Are you related to the Kennedy’s?” And in your hypocritical manner you accuse others of baiting! You have shown your duplicity, hypocrisy and true colors.

• Catholic Lady says:

I am not a great Catholic, I am only a Catholic who is trying to please her Lord and to Love all my brothers and sisters in Christ. and pray for the souls of those who are yet to come.

Too bad Francis didn’t appoint any women to the team.

14. James says:

I am not supporting anyone who caused scandle to our church…I am trying my best to get you off the subject and take the advise of Catholic Lady:
    You want to continue to condem two great Popes and you know very little about the one we have. As Catholic we must not take side, but we must obey our Ponteff as he was chosen by The Holy Spirit and Our Blessed Mother wants us to pray the rosary. Now lets call a truce to all this crazy talk.
    Last comment by me.

• Concerned says:

So Jimmy, you get to question whatever you want – Why was O’Malley chosen? But as soon as anyone questions those whom you favor they are doing something wrong. You want to change the topic to what yyou want it to be. And when you have no real argument, you try some artificial piety to try to fool yourself into believing your self-righteousness. You have pretty much demonstrated exactly what kind of person you are.

15. James says:

The reason it is hard to discuss anything with you Concerned is, because you do not know what your talking about. Pope John Paul II gave Cardinal Law a position at the Vatican…It was NOT Benedict. Look it up !!!
    Catholic Lady …Agree, we should all pray for the runners and the victims at Boston Marathon. Thanks for getting us back on message !

• Concerned says:

Well let’s get all the facts straight – he moved to Rome under John Paul II, he was given a Vatican Post in 2004. By that time John Paul II was not really making any appointments – they were pretty muuch handled by Joseph Ratzinger. In any event John Paul II caused scandal by taking Law into the Vatican – Banedict caused scandal by allowing him to remain in the post until he retired in 2011. And as usual you simply avoid the real issue. You show your hypocrisy by showing such support for a person who was behind a great deal of scandal in the CHurch.

16. Catholic Lady says:

Please Pray for the runners and the victims at the Boston Marathon today…

17. James says:

Article said .. Donilon did not know when Cardinal O’Malley got the message of his appointment…He is a very good friend of Pope Francis. So I guess he knew he would get an appointment the day Francis became Pope. It’s called Politics. Right Worried@ this?

18. Andrew says:

Speaking of reform: I just looked at yahoo news and there is a Reuters story that Pope Francis has reaffirmed the crackdown on the feminists pretending to be nuns in the LCWR. Thank you Pope Francis!

• Larry Perssiko says:

You are a total jack ass they are not women pretending to be nuns, they are vowed women religious.

• Ann says:

Agree Larry. Andrew appears to be.
        If Francis reaffirms the crackdown on LCWR, real problems. He will certainly not change anything structurally within the church. Very needed.

• Patty says:

Um…there can be a difference between a vowed woman religious and a nun. :)

I think Anndrew you have to mahe a distinction between the Sisters serving the People og God and the Corporative organization Body of the Women Religious. Hardly a crackdown but rather suggestions on how to achieve a collaborative approch to ministry.

• Recovering Catholic says:

I’d like to see a crackdown on males pretending to be holy Catholic priests.

19. Worried@this says:

What a horrible choice! Omalley ignores his own diocese yet the Pope appoints him to a “reform” committee? What a disaster!

• Andrew says:

I’m confused about this one as well. The Archdiocese of Boston is losing parishioners right and left, rapidly closing schools as well as parishes. That’s not a model for success.

• Concerned says:

Well Andy it’s still the fallout from the devastation caused by Cardinal Law – who, let’s not forget, after causing the horrible scandal was given a job at the Vatican by Benedict.

20. Recovering Catholic says:

Pope Francis’ actions are renewing my hope in the future of the RC Church. If he opened the way for decent married men to become priests and decent women to be ordained, I think we’d have a hit here!

• Julie says:

First of all there are several instances of married men who are now priests. That said I pray to God Pope Francis does NOT change Church doctrine by establishing married priests and especially never ever having women ordained. If that were to occur the church will no longer be Catholic. If that’s what you truly want, join the Episcopal Church; a church by the way where the faithful and even many clergy are leaving due to their liberal policies.

• Recovering Catholic says:

Married men were part of the priesthood for centuries until the church changed its rule. Re-instating the married priesthood of good, decent family men and ordaining good, decent women is NOT violating any CORE belief of the Catholic Church. That rule was put into place for practical reasons at the time and as a result of millenium of male chauvenism.

• Concerned says:

actually the rule was put into effect for selfish reasons – the Church did not want to lose any more property because priests were handing it on to their children.

• Ann says:

Historically correct Concerned. Gregory tightened Church’s financial holdings.

• Ann says:

. . . and Julie, it’s not doctrine, it’s discipline. And we certainly would be Catholic; in fact, we would be more Catholic, more inclusive, more unversal if married men and women were ordained; they certainly have experienced a call to full sacramental ministry. Catholicism should not be defined by an exclusivist male priesthood. I can think of no–thing that is more anti the ministry of Jesus than exclusivity of any kind. The writers of the NT depict Jesus choosing 12 men — a symbolic part of their narrative which indicates that Jesus came first for the 12 tribes of Israel. In reality, Jesus was surrounded by many apostles, disciples, and faithful followers — women included. Increasingly, Catholics are becoming less willing to identify their faith with an all male priesthood in its strange exclusivity, especially one in which some have acted scandalously over the past years.

• Worried@this says:

Recovering Catholic, go join the Episcopalians, it will never happen

21. GREG SMITH says:

looks like the new sheriff in town is rounding up his deputies for the big showdown.

22. James says:

Concerned does not seem to be concerned. Are you related to the Kennedy’s?

• Worried@this says:

Ha ha! @ James

• Concerned says:

James and person with the middle name of @, are you related to each other – the Senseless family? neither one of you seem to have anything to contribute or discuss – oh that’s right you are the kind of anti-Jesus people who want discussion stopped so you just babble incoherently hoping people will lose interest.

• Ann says:

Very rude and unnecessary James, not to mention irrelevant.

23. Concerned says:

A very smart, practical and just move on the part of Pope Francis.