Home » US News » Cardinal Dolan’s Speech Changes Irk Gay Catholics

Cardinal Dolan’s Speech Changes Irk Gay Catholics

Though the Catholic Church may not be known for its quickness, Cardinal Timothy Dolan made a few changes to his political prayer in the week between the Republican and Democratic National Conventions. Dolan’s Democratic prayer largely mirrored the words he gave to Mitt Romney and company at the Republican National Convention last week, with a few tweaks that injected a little bit of the pastor’s politics.

Most notably, he poked at the Dems’ pro-choice platform, praying, “We ask your benediction on those waiting to be born, that they may be welcomed and protected,” adding “that they may be welcomed and protected” from his Republican blessing. Conservative bloggers and Tweeters celebrated the speech as pro-life.

He also echoed his Republican speech calling for “respecting the laws of nature and of nature’s God,” asking for help to “resist the temptation to replace the moral law with idols of our own making, or to remake those institutions you have given us for the nurturing of life and community.”

Dolan said on his Twitter account yesterday before the prayer, “As I did at the RNC, I go as a pastor. Not to endorse any party, platform, or candidate.” [more]

NY Observer

1. Paul says:

Laws of nature and nature’s God. Cordeleone speaks about marriage as ‘written in our nature’. So why are catholic priests going against the laws of nature, the nature written in them ? Why are they not getting married and having children ? They should not be in politics anyway. Jesus clearly said, Render unto Caesar. Do Catholics ever read these comments sections ? It would be hilarious if not so utterly hypocritical and tragic. Should be ashamed of yourselves and leave the judgement of others to the God you claim to worship.

2. Herbert Markowski says:

The issue of the same sex marriage acts is an “in your face” agenda. Because no marriage ceremony is required. If you are really seriously inclined to have a “legal” partenership”
    Just go to a lawyer and have a partenship agreement drawn up and sign and notorize it. Both Parties can write in it what they choose except for unlawful
    Things. No marrigage ceremony is necessary. A partenership agrement will bind the same sexers together leagally.

3. blag says:

I owe a thanks to Dolan for giving a speech at both conventions. I don’t slight him in the least for stating his political views and calling both parties out on the things he disagrees with, and I appreciate the fact that by speaking at both conventions he reflects the idea that the Catholic church should be above the political fray and the idea that the Catholic church should not take a political stance, only a moral one that people can interpret. Good on him.

4. Catholic Lady says:

Check out ” Life Site News.Com – Ontario Christian Minister forced to conduct same-sex “marriages” or get sacked. (she works on a contract basis in Cambridge performing marriages at the City Hall) but her Protestant Church will not allow her to perform Gay marriages. It is City Hall who is threatening her dismisal..

Catholic Lady — Americans should wake up to this very real possiblity for our country in the very near future if Mr. 666 is re-elected.

5. Catholic Lady says:

I have just returned home from 8:30 Mass having taken time to stop and pray for my American Friends and remembering the lives that were lost on September 11th. I pray that your beautiful country will always live in peace and have freeedom. I also pray that you will be gentle and kind towards others, particularly those in the Catholic Church and those who post comments here. A friend of mine just returning from the U.S.A. was much impressed by the Catholics he had met but I’m sorry to say that you all do not impress me..

We love you, Catholic Lady! As an American, BTW, I too am not at all impressed by most who post here — they are CINOs, but don’t even know it — or worse, they are New Age wiccans.

Jim, you would only be impressed if Ratzinger or Burke posted here, and I bet you would even find fault with their theology not. Being conservative enough.

Tony — If Benedict XVI or Cardinal Burke posted here, you can be sure I would agree with everything they say, and laud them for it.

6. Roy Banes says:

Jim, I am tottaly in your corner. However, it seems that we are becoming the minority in moral issues. You can see from all the posts from the lesbian, gay’s and progressives in this blog. God will deal with them for their moral turpitude. don’t let the m silence you, Jim. You are on the right side of the Church and history. God continue to bless you and your.

Thank you so much, Roy — your post encourages me; God probably sent you here to encourage me. May God continue to bless you and yours as well.

7. joseph Fancis says:

Thanks tony and Jim for starting off our day. On this one, Jim is wright on… I comment Dolan for defending life, Sadly he was speaking to the wind as abortion is so accepted and endorces by democrats. More sadly is that I who am so against abortion have to pay for it with my taxes. But the best was when the Democrats voted to “take God and Jerusalem out” 3x the vote to “Take God out.” Then the chair person being told through a the teller peace that Obama just went into Cardiac arrest for fear of losing the Christian and Jewish vote, over road the vote and keep God in. (For today) Tell them after I get in, I promise I will take God out for good and let Isreal fend for them selves.

8. Florian says:

The cardinal possesses no jurisdiction over those who do not acknowledge his jurisdiction and choose not to be bound by his ecclesiastical power and its concomitant influence.
    The cardinal’s “prayer” is a boundary violation in that the cardinal ascribes to himself a set of powers he does not possess. If gay/lesbian couples choose to honor one another with their lives and their bodies, our country and its civil liberties are stronger because they can, and do. The institution of “traditional” marriage is not weakened, even if some churchmen “feel” threatened even if they’re not among the married!

Florian — well, on Earth, those who do not acknowledge the Cardinal’s jurisdiction are not bound by his ecclesiastical power — but they remain bound by God’s power, and they will face judgment for their sins, as we all will. The Cardinal is simply performing an act of mercy and trying to help those gay folks avoid an eternity in Hell. When you love someone, you tell them the truth, even if they reject it or it is not pleasing to them.

• Concerned says:

thankfully they are recipients of God’s mercy as well. Especially thanks that, even though he considers otherwise, Jim is not the prosecutor, jury and judge.

9. Jim says:

Thank you, Cardinal Dolan. Unfortunately, as this “Catholic” website demonstrates, the significant part of the world is lost in sin and confusion and stubborness in clinging to their own ways.

Dolan is causing the message of Jesus to be considered more and more irrelevant in today’s world. Cardinal Martini was correct when he said that the Churc is hundreds of years behind the times, and Dolan proves it.
    Dolan seems to project a church that is more concerned with what goes on in a persons bedroom than his or hear heart.

What goes on in one’s bedroom most definitely affects what is in one’s heart. Our sexuality is at the center of our being — if we don’t live sexually pure lives (or at least attempt to), we’ll easily lose our way, thinking things like that gay sex and masturbation and artificial contraception and female ordination are okay, and refusing to value the Rosary and devotion to the Mother of God.

• Recovering Catholic says:

Jim, from all of your posts on this site, I see that what goes on in YOUR bedroom has made you a sensitive, thoughtful, open-minded person — and sensitive to women and minorities, especially!

• Concerned says:

And let’s not forget how his devotion to Mary has helped him to lift up the lowly and be a beason of hope for the alienated, and a staunch defender of social justice. There’s no hypocrisy or duplicity in his words are there?

• Concerned says:

Although I am not sure that we can question his purity in the bedroom – but is it a purity he participates in willingly or because of the fact that no one would go there?

• Paul says:

Lol. I wondered the same myself. Our wee Jim just protesteth way too much. Those wandering hands of yours ain’t that pure Jim lad. Who the hell do you think you are kidding. We will love like the angels in the next life, not this one. Jesus said that. Not Dolan.

I am so sensitive to women, Recovering, that I seek to give them what they want even when they themselves have been confused by the lesbian leaders of the anti-women’s movement over the last 50 or so years. Women want to be led and protected by men — women in touch with their feminine soul know that they want to be home raising their children and serving their husband, not out in the workforce. And, with regard to minorities — from where on Earth did that comment come? I don’t believe I’ve ever made a comment about minorities. You’re not stereotyping me, are you, Recovering? You’re not being racist, are you? Since I am a white man, you feel free to accuse men of being insensitive to minority issues with absolutely no evidence — and that, my friend, is a racist comment, as you would not level that charge at me if I was a member of a minority community.

Also, Recovering, it is you who are the misogynyst — you apparently hate the role God has given to women so much that you reject it in favor of the masculine role. For my part, I value the role God has given to women, and realize that I as a man can’t replace the contributions a woman makes to a family and to society. Stop hating your God-given role, Recovering, and start celebrating it and honoring it and living it.

• Recovering Catholic says:

First of all, Jimbo, I love being a woman (and, just for the record of your posts, I’m a straight person). Second, God gave me a high ability in math, science and art and (although it will sound strange to you, Jim) absolutely no desire to spend my earthbound life being a housefrau or servant to anyone. I expect God would want me to use the abilities he gave me — not bury them in the ground. As much as I would have loved to have spent my entire day in the house cooking, cleaning and being subservient, God just didn’t give me those gifts and God knows better than you do, Jim, what a woman is capable of.

• Recovering Catholic says:

You just don’t seem to get it, Jim. I don’t hate my God-given role at all. The role God gave me was one of a high aptitude in math, science and art, and I took it and ran with it. Why would I hate my role? It’s great!

I meant your role as a woman, Recovering. You may be good at math etc., but in your soul, you are a woman. If you make it to Heaven, in Heaven you will be a woman, not an asexual spirit, not a man/woman. Your femininity runs to the very depth of your being. And, God had different roles for the two genders. By their very nature, both physically and psychologically and relationally, women are receivers and men are givers. You can try to foil God’s plans if you like, but such attempts end in utter failure (Revelations 3:7-8).

• Concerned says:

Really, so now Jim the Almighty knows what happens in heaven? He has changed the teaching of Scripture and the words of Jesus. Now isn’t he just so powerful.

Concerned — if you think my 7:04 P.M. post changes Scripture, you are enormously ignorant. But, that is no surprise to me. Your arrogance could only be based on substantial ignorance combined with a lot of pride. If you knew what Scripture said and the Church teaches, you would know that everything I have posted is EXACTLY what the Church teaches. But, maybe I should join your church and listen to your dogma, huh? I do admit, I’m not particulary familiar with the teachings of the Church of Concerned. And guess what (I think you know what’s coming next) — I could care less what you think. I care about the truth of God, as rendered to us all (who are willing to listen) through the Catholic Church.

• Concerned says:

Ah, Jim the Almighty knows what is best for everyone. Be careful Recovering or Jim the ALmighty will ship you off to reparative therapy. After all, Jim the Almighty knows everything.

• Concerned says:

And be fair Jim – Recovering was not being racist to ward you – she never once accused you of being a real man.

You know, Concerned, I once heard a woman say — and I think she is correct — that the more a woman like youself protests the headship of a man, the more she needs it.

• Concerned says:

It doesn’t surprise me that you are gender confused. Whatever species you are, I can only hope it is a preying mantis and that indeed you engage in sexual relations – we all know what happens to a male preying mantis while engaging in relations – the famle chews its head off.

• Recovering Catholic says:

The Biblical meaning of “Headship” is that God was telling the husband to be head of his family just as God is the head of the husband. Unless he is humble toward God first, he cannot exercise headship toward his wife correctly. It doesn’t mean some kind of dictatorial control. Now, of course, in those days, women didn’t have all the opportunities they have today, and we don’t have to marry and be subservient if we don’t have that calling (what woman ever really did? She was just “stuck” in the old male-dominated cultures.)

• Recovering Catholic says:

I’m a straight person.

• Recovering Catholic says:

Exactly. The church is always focusing on the wrong bodily organ — it’s the “heart” that matters — not the “gonads”.

Recovering — except that the Blessed Mother told Blessed Jacinta that more souls go to Hell for sins of the flesh than for any other reason. Our sexuality is bound up with our being at its very center. You can’t sin sexually without that having reverberations thoughout your soul.