Home » US News » Vatican reprimand sends American nun’s book up bestseller lists

Vatican reprimand sends American nun’s book up bestseller lists

Authors are known to seek out glowing blurbs to help sell books, but they might consider courting a Vatican reprimand instead.

After the Vatican’s doctrinal watchdog condemned an American nun for a book she wrote on human sexuality this week, the book shot up Amazon.com’s bestseller list, becoming the #1 best selling religious studies book by Tuesday.

On Wednesday , Sister Margaret A. Farley’s “Just Love: A Framework for Christian Sexual Ethics,” was the #16 best-selling book on Amazon overall, just ahead of Laura Hillenbrand’s “Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption,” which has been on Amazon’s bestseller list for well over a year.

Farley’s book has been on the list for three days. The Washington Post reported that the book was #142,982 on Amazon as recently as Monday.

That was the day the Vatican revealed its censure of Sister Margaret A. Farley, who teaches at Yale Divinity School, over her 2006 book, which the church said is out of step with official church teaching on human sexuality, including masturbation and homosexuality.

“Masturbation is an intrinsically and gravely disordered action,” the church said in a statement Monday that went on to characterize “homosexual acts” as “acts of grave depravity.” [more]

CNN

1. Pat says:

See, this is exactly the type of thing people think of when they think of Catholics today; a bunch of people forever moaning, groaning, and whining about little tiny baby issues in culture like a book that says you won’t go to hell for masturbating. Come on, get real. Do you really think that’s a big deal? It’s just a nun who thinks differently from the establishment; you haven’t even heard her arguments and so many of you are practically condemning her to hellfire. Catholicism seriously lacks any kind of serious, mature discourse about these kinds of topics and that makes Catholicism seem less relevant in today’s age.

Thanks for your insights Pat, something for all of us to think about.

Pat — you are ridiculous. First of all, your assertion that “Catholicism seriously lacks any kind of serious, mature discourse about (masturbation)” — are you kidding me? The Catholic Church has addressed this issue seriously and extensively. Just because you haven’t read what the church fathers and others have written doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist. Stop being so egocentric and assuming that if you haven’t read it, it doesn’t exist. Number two: this nun isn’t just thinking “differently from the establishment” — she is thinking differently from the infallible teachings of God’s Church. What heretic Farley has conjured up in her sinfulness is most definitely not the same as what the Church teaches us, as the Holy Spirit guides the Church — by contrast, Farely is like Eve — she knows better than God. Third, “tiny baby issues” like masturbation: well, the Blessed Mother told Jacinta, one of the Fatima visionaries, that more souls go to Hell for sins of the flesh than for any other reason. I listen to women who hover in the sky, are illuminated with unexplained light, and tell us they are the Blessed Mother. I DON’T listen to a heretical nun whose only credentials are her sinfulness and her departure from the infallible teachings of the Church. Wake up, Pat, before you find yourself in hell fire — FOREVER. Think about what FOREVER means, Pat — the implications are downright petrifying.

2. Jim says:

So, bottom line, psuedo-sisters, is this: we’re coming after you now, and we intend to root out every last rotten apple — which might be the significant majority. But then, this is God’s work — and we know who wins in the end.

• Polycarp says:

Jim, get psycological help you have deep seated issues as evident by your angry comments.

Hey Polycarp — how about if you get loyal to the Magesterium? Also, since you think I am so pathological — explain to my why Jesus, Who was meek and humble of heart, cursed a fig tree that was not producing, resulting in it withering to the ground, then went to Jerusalem and flipped over the tables of the money changers. Did He have “deep seated isssues” too? If you won’t address what I have just raised, please do not repond with more of your opinionated blather.

• Polycarp says:

Newsflash Jim, you are not Jesus or the Messiah but you do have deep seated emotional issues. You are quick to point out the problems of others but slow to see the beam in your own eye, get help Jim you really need it.

Hey Polycarp, Jesus was not the only One Who has the obligation to act in ways He acted. It truly is an act of love to rebuke heretics. If we don’t, they may wind up in Hell — for an ETERNITY. What kind of friend are you — a person who lets his friends drive drunk? Oh, and with regard to geting help: yes, you need it — you have bought hook, line, and sinker the garbage spewed in the latter half of the 20th century about the virtues (or lack thereof) of males, including leadership. You think you are being manly, but you are not — you are exactly the kind of whipped man the anti-male feminists were hoping to develop. I was like you are, but I escaped from their concentration camp, and I now can see the light. You, my friend, are still lost, as are most men (and women).

• Polycarp says:

And you are so delusional as to think you are above and better than all other men?

Polycarp — one is delusional when one’s belief is false and won’t change in the face of contrary evidence. Indeed, there are not many men, or women, who appreciate male virtues anymore — the anti-women’s movement of the late 20th century was very effective in relegating men (and their natural virtues of leadership and establishing order and rationality) to the trashcan, just as now many people are starting to believe homosexuality is a normal variant. As I said in my last post, yes, I do believe I have arrived at a truth most men don’t yet see; but I hope they will soon see it, as the women are lost without male leadership. Witness “sister” Janet and the LCWR.

Notice, dear reader, that Polycarp did respond at all to my request to answer the question I posed. That is what one does when one has no good answer.

3. Jim says:

Wow — on the National Catholic Register website, the following comment was posted. I have copied-and-pasted it here. If you want a beautiful expose of what has happened among women religious in the United States, this is it:

Posted by Therese on Wednesday, Jun 6, 2012 1:03 PM (EST):Pat, my 60 years of living experience do not support your statements. Your standard straw man argument that Pro-lifers care only about birth and not about the human being after she is born is unfounded, biased, cruel and FALSE.
    I had 16 years of Catholic education, starting in 1958. My oldest sister was a junior professed nun during the second VAtican Council – she left for the New Age movement. My six children spent many years in a pseudo-Catholic parish school. I have faithfully attended Mass my entire life. I teach in a Catholic girls school, where the chapel was protestantized – no pews, no Eucharist for many years.
    MY EXPERIENCE: The nuns (multiple orders) have become self-centered, rather than God-centered. The radical feminism has destroyed any knowledge of what true Catholicism is. The students are left with no spiritual tools to face the harsh secular, hedonistic realities of life in our society. They get yoga meditation on “Wellness DAy” rather than true meditation as St. Teresa of Avila teaches. Students leave our Catholic school (my daughters, included) thinking that the Catholic Church is nothing but an organization of power-hungry old white men (their words). The seniors deny ever having heard of Natural Law or the Catechism of the Catholic Church. This is such a false and destructive legacy. These nuns have robbed at least two generations of knowledge of Jesus and the relationship he wants to have with us through his church. The Vatican has been delinquent in waiting so long to address the heresies that have led so many souls astray.

Read more: http://www.ncregister.com/daily-news/whats-going-on-with-the-lcwr/#ixzz1xUQS3Nbq

• Polycarp says:

Jim, your main issue should be anger control and taking care of your emotional and psycological problems.

Thanks for that input, Polycarp — as soon as I am done with this post, I’m going to call one of those pseudo-sister psychotherapists, so she can validate me walking away from the Church. BTW, Polycarp, since essentially all of the post to which you responded was actually written by a woman, Therese, on an NCR blog, do you think she has deep-seated anger issues too? If you respond to this post, please first give me your answer to this question.

4. "Had It" Catholic says:

It is really sad to see all of these narrow-minded, self-righteous commentators here — except for Tony, of course!

Well, “Had It”, may I suggest you leave the Catholic Church (since you’re not a Catholic anyway — the evidence: you don’t believe what the Church teaches) and start your own? After all, you don’t like “narrow-minded, self-righteous commentators” like me anyway — and I am a true Catholic — I believe EVERYTHING the Church teaches. So, leave.

Dear “Had It” — hmmm, I wonder if you’re actually Tony himself? Nah, even Tony wouldn’t stoop that low.

5. Recovering Catholic says:

The Magisterium of the Catholic Church would do well to at least “try” to understand that it is a person’s “heart” that is the critical organ — not a “sexual” organ!

Recovering Catholic — your thining is very impressive. The Catholic Church has a 2,000 year history of having some of the greatest thinkers in the history of the world — and you somehow think you are breaking new ground. Your idea that the heart is the critical organ — I’m sure people like Augustine and Aquinas never wrote about that — no, such an idea was beyond them. It takes a smart person like yourself to come up with that ground-breaking idea. Get with it and wise up, man — you have a lot of recovering to do, I can see.

6. Millie says:

I guess Sister doesn’t believe scripture (Romans). God help her. She is sorely in need of prayer.

7. Fr. Chris Fontanini says:

Sr. Farley is need of our prayers. Let us pray that she has a conversion! Natural law has and will prove and vindicate the Church!

8. Susan Varenne says:

These nuns, like Farley and the LCWR, consider themselves “prophets.” They should keep in mind Lamentations 2:14: Your prophets had for you false and specious visions; They did not lay bare your guilt to avert your fate; They beheld for you in vision false and misleading portents. These women have set themselves up as an alternative authority to Rome. Let them go–I hope they leave. If they don’t like the Church, they can leave. But we can’t sell a ruined product. They are a blight and a mold on the beauty of the Faith.

I’m with you 100%, Susan; in fact, I think the Church should help them leave by excommunicating them. Excommunication is a favor to the person: it sends them a clear signal that they are on the wrong side of the tracks. Because these nuns represent themselves as Catholic, they mislead many people. No wonder so many Catholics today are confused about what is right and what is wrong.

9. Thomas Merton says:

I expect these nuns got just what they wanted, attention. The poor picked on nuns who have no basis for feeling left out of things, since they were never promised inclusion in the first place. The Vatican is a solid as a rock boys club.

And indeed, Thomas, it is going to stay that way. Genesis 1:27 — “male and female He created them.” The two sexes are different, and God did not make women to be in leadership positions. They often think with their heart, not their head.

10. Joe says:

Ugh! Another liberal nun who thinks she knows better than the pope, or even God Himself, on matters of morality. Let’s pray she comes to her senses and returns to Church teaching before she influences others down the road of peridtion.

Well, Joe, Pope Paul VI said “the smoke of Satan has entered the Church.” This is one such manifestation.

11. irishsmile says:

Harry Truman famously said, “If you can’t stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen”. No one is forced to be a Catholic. The door swings both ways. If you don’t like the church, fine. Join a church that suits your agenda!

Good for Farley and the Mercy Sister for selling all those books.

Yes, Tony, good for Father Farley and the Mercy Sister, at least in this life — but bad for their souls, and bad for the Church. There is no way you can be a faithful Catholic, by definition: in your multiple posts on this site, you consistently do not support Church teaching. Face it, Tony — you’re not Catholic. Wake up and quit deluding yourself into thinking you are on the right side of the tracks, just with an improved “Tony” version of Catholicism.

• TRL says:

Tony, change your name. You’re making the rest of us named Tony look bad.

TRL — Well, you know, someone could pretend they’re Tony and make a post in his name, even if he changes his name. Here’s what Tony is going to write next: “I oppose what the archaic male hierarchy teaches. The Church needs to understand advanced thinkers like me — we are right and the Church started by Jesus Christ 2,000 years ago is wrong. And oh, one last thing — all men are stupid and bad. I only listen to women and those who are smarter than the Church.” See, TRL, how easy it would be for anyone to pretend they are Tony?