Home » US News » Charter is framework for making abuse response ‘part of our culture’

Charter is framework for making abuse response ‘part of our culture’

 

Deacon Bernard Nojadera is director of the U.S. bishops' Secretariat of Child and Youth Protection, established in the wake of the bishops' "Charter for the Protection of Children and Young People" approved in 2002. (CNS/Bob Roller)

The “Charter for the Protection of Children and Young People” — now 10 years old — was not meant to be “the last word” in solving the abuse crisis, according to the chairman of the U.S. bishops’ Committee on the Protection of Children and Young People.

Instead, Bishop R. Daniel Conlon of Joliet, Ill., said the charter has provided a framework for ongoing efforts. Its requirements are “not a temporary fix” but have to “become part of our culture,” he added.

The charter was part of the U.S. bishops’ response to the clergy abuse scandal that was a top concern when they met 10 years ago in Dallas.

Their June meeting took place just five months after The Boston Globe began publishing articles about the sexual abuse of minors by priests and accusations of a systemic cover-up by church officials. The reports prompted other victims across the country to come forward with allegations of abuse that put the scandal in the national spotlight.

The bishops responded by developing a national policy to oust predators and protect children. They adopted the charter and approved a set of legislative norms to enforce implementation in all dioceses. They also established a lay-run National Review Board to monitor compliance, commission studies of the causes and context of the crisis, and recommend further actions. Later that year, the bishops formed a national Office for Child and Youth Protection.

A decade later, the review board was scheduled to report on the effectiveness of the bishops’ response to the abuse crisis at their June 13-15 meeting in Atlanta.

According to Al J. Notzon III, chairman of the National Review Board, “striking changes” have occurred in the church’s efforts to prevent and report abuse but said more work still needs to be done.

The charter outlined how the church leaders would provide a safe environment for children and young people in church-sponsored activities. It established uniform procedures for handling sex-abuse allegations and adopted a “zero tolerance” policy. It also required background checks and training in child protection for church employees and required dioceses facing allegations made about priests or other church workers to alert authorities, conduct an investigation and remove the accused person from duty. [More]

SOURCE

CNS

 
 
 
 

3 Comments

  1. Tony says:

    While striking changers have occured, there is still much work to be done, witness the latest revelations from the Philadelphis Trial, and revelations of what Cardinal Dolan did as Archbishop, and his original denial last week.

    • Jim says:

      Tony, if the Archbishop made a denial last week, how can you assume he is guilty? Oh, that’s right, it’s obvious, he has both qualities that make him guilty: 1) he’s a man (check); 2) he’s a member of the Catholic hierarchy (check). Guilty on both counts. I don’t know what country you live in, Tony, but in my country, we assume people are innocent until proven guilty.

  2. Jim says:

    Okay, all of you cynical, anti-Catholic posters (who incorrectly consider yourselves to be Catholic) — let’s see what you have to say about this story. Hmmm, I thought for sure based on what people like Tony and Thomas Merton have said that the Church continues to ignore and hush-up the abuse. I’m waiting for your response, dear Tony, Thomas, and all of you other pseudo-Catholics.

 
 

Leave a Comment