Irish Cardinal Rejects New Accusations on Pedophile Priest
The leader of the Catholic Church in Ireland, Cardinal Sean Brady, said on Wednesday that he would not resign despite new accusations that he failed 35 years ago to alert the parents of victims of a serial pedophile priest, allowing the abuse to continue for at least another decade.
The cardinal’s statement blamed other members of the church hierarchy as failing to act to halt the priest, Brendan Smyth.
“With others, I feel betrayed that those who had the authority in the Church to stop Brendan Smyth failed to act on the evidence I gave them,” Cardinal Brady said in his statement. “However, I also accept that I was part of an unhelpful culture of deference and silence in society, and the church, which thankfully is now a thing of the past.”
Cardinal Brady resisted calls to step down two years ago over his role in a 1975 church investigation, saying his role had been confined to taking notes in interviews with a child who said he and others were being sexually abused by Father Smyth. [more]