Home » Multimedia » Lesbian denied communion at mother’s funeral

Lesbian denied communion at mother’s funeral

A woman is calling for a Catholic priest’s removal from the ministry after he denied her communion at her mother’s funeral and then left before finishing the service. The woman, Barbara Johnson, tells her story to msnbc’s Tamron Hall.

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

MSNBC

1. Marilyn Bell says:

1 Corinthians 11:17 Whoever therefore eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of profaning the body and blood of the Lord. Let a man examine himself, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup. For any one who eats and drinks without discerning the body eats and drinks judgement upon himself….Only the Lord can judge, either Barbara or the actions of this priest, certainly not I.

2. RuthAnn Waiters says:

Shame on this priest – a follower of Jesus, yet does NOT behave as Jesus asks! A sin is a sin is a sin… this priest has sinned against love for his neighbor! “Let he with no sin cast the first stone!” We (nor the priest) don’t know what goes on behind the closed doors of this woman and her partner, in the same way that we don’t know what goes on behind the closed doors of unmarried ‘dating’ couples, or, for that matter, behind this priests’ closed doors. Perhaps when he faces his God, God will refuse to break bread with him because he refused to break bread with Barbara!

3. John says:

I wish you people would actually READ the catechism. We are seeing a very myopic covering of this story. Even if the diocese appologized, we don’t know why the priest in this situation was seeing and experiencing. If this woman was holding hands and showing outward displays of her relationship, which is against church teachings, he cannot give communion because he would be confirming that her relationship, actions, and behavior was acceptable. We also don’t know how the funeral was being implemented. There might have been additional errors and issues that would force his hand into not continuing.

I applaud the priest for being brave.

The catechism says that homosexuals must receive the Sam respect and consideration as anyone else. The Archdiocese of Washington has guidelines which the priest went against and the diocese apologized. Going against the rules of his bishop is hardly something to applaud the priest for.

• RuthAnn Waiters says:

John, sure, one can READ the catechism written by man – but we must first READ and follow the Gospel! We must FIRST and ALWAYS be faithful to the Gospel before thinking of being faithful to the Catechism! I know Jesus would have welcomed Barbara with open hands, and would have asked this priest to cast the first stone if he indeed is sinless!

• Catherine says:

When my father died, at the funeral Mass, my best friend held my hand and held me when I cried. Our mother was fragile and we had no other family members present at Mass. I didn’t realize that holding the hand or hugging someone in grief was a sin! My sister’s boyfriend did the same for her. I’m glad my pastor did not refuse communion to me nor my best friend, nor to my sister and her boyfriend. We are both female, but according to you, John, my friend’s reaching out to me when I was grieving, crying, and in need of someone to hold me is an expression of sin. Really? Wow!

4. Valerie says:

Barbara, I would have broken bread with you.

How unChristlie of the priest. He needs to read the Gospels, especially about the compassionate loving Jesus and the loving Father Jesus revealed. Good for the Arcdiocese for issuing a statement against the actions of the misguided priest.